This blog is comprised of Saint of the Week stories I have been writing for my youth groups in Rocky Mountain House and Sylvan Lake. Each week we act out the life of another saint in what is called a "Spontaneous Melodrama." Choose volunteer actors for each role in the story, then read the story, pausing when necessary to let the actors say their lines. This is a dynamic and fun way to learn the stories of the saints, although sometimes historical precision is sacrificed for flow. Feel free to try this in your group!

Friday, April 26, 2013

St Anna Schaffer

Anna, Dad, Mom, brother, master, doctor, priest, Jesus, St Francis

(Enter Anna)

Anna Schaffer loved God.  She said "One day, I will be a nun!"

(Enter Jesus)

One day Jesus appeared to her and said "Anna, I want you to suffer for me."

Anna was alarmed, but said "Jesus, I will do whatever you ask of me!"

(Jesus leave, Dad, mom, brother enter)

Her father was a carpenter, who worked all day with a hammer and saw. One day her father died suddenly. Anna and her mom and her brother sobbed as they hugged.  Her mom said "Now what will we do for money?"

Anna said "Don't worry mom, I will drop out of school and get a job!"

(Family leave, master enter)

So Anna began working as a maid, dusting and sweeping, while her master ordered her around.  One day her master ordered in a shrill voice "Anna!  Come here and fix this stovepipe"

Anna climbed up on the industrial washing machine, and tried to fix it.  Suddenly she slipped and fell into the machine!  The water in the machine was boiling hot!  Anna screamed in pain!

Her mother, brother, and a doctor all came running!

When she got out, she was crying, and shaking from the severe pain. Her Mother helped her into bed, while the doctor looked after her.  (Keep Anna standing while in "Bed" so people can still see her) The doctor massaged her legs, and operated on her, but nothing helped.  Anna's pain was so great, that eventually she was left paralyzed in bed.  Anna said "Now I will never be a nun!"

Anna stayed in bed, while her mother and brother stood by. (Master leave)

But even while in bed, she remained optimistic. She would lie in her bed and knit clothes for her friends.  Every day the local priest would come by to bring her communion.  He would say "The body of Christ" and she would say "Amen". Then she would say "I can't tell you how happy I am that I get to receive communion!  I think that suffering, communion and knitting will be my ticket to heaven!"

Her brother said "Anna, I never believed in God, but after seeing what a hero you are, I realize that God is real!"

(Priest, mom, brother leave, Francis enter)

One day she had a vision where St Francis appeared to her.  He said "You're suffering a lot. Will you suffer more?"

Anna said "Yes."

Then Francis disapeared.

(Francis leave)

Anna got the stigmata-  holes appeared on her hands and feet like those of Jesus!  And it felt like she was being pierced through with nails!  She tried to keep her hands and feet hidden from everyone else, so no one would know.

Eventually Anna got cancer, which made her paralysis even worse.  She couldn't write or even speak!  (Priest return) But after receiving communion from her priest, she was able to say her last words;  "Jesus!  I live for you!" Then she died.

St Anna Schaffer-  pray for us!


1 comment: